The summer school at the Novosibirsk State Technical University is for all participants a great opportunity to get some exciting experiences with the city of Novosibirsk and the other Russian students of this program. Of course, you will have some lectures during the time at the NSTU, but you will also have a lot of free-time to explore the city and during the trip to Altai there will be a lot of sport activities.
Get in contact
TIf you are interested in the summer school at the Novosibirsk State Technical University, you should first go to your international office at your university to get some general information about this program.
To get in contact with the Novosibirsk State Technical University, you can write an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and get more information about the summer school and the organization process.
If you have special questions about something, do not hesitate to ask
How to apply
To apply for the summer school, you must do an application at the Novosibirsk State Technical University and a second application at the DAAD for the scholarship by your own. Please note that you must prepare all needed documents before you start the application process. It will make everything easier for you, because you don´t have to interrupt the process and start it again.
Application at the Novosibirsk State Technical University
You need following documents:
- A copy of your COMPLETE PASSPORT. This means a copy of all pages including the clean pages as a pdf document. Your passport needs to be valid at least 18 months longer than the last day of summer school.
- A photography of yours. In best case it´s something like a passport photo.
- One single pdf with following content (CV, Motivation letter, Transcript of modules).
The way, how to name those documents, will be explained to you at the end of the application process, where you have to upload those documents
1. Read all the information which is provided on our website and join our Facebook group. With joining the Facebook group, you will be always up to date and it´s the easiest way to contact the applicants and to ask important question.
2. Carefully fill out our registration form and upload all needed documents. If you don´t want to upload your documents send them to our Email.
Application at DAAD for scholarship
You need following documents:
- German “CV”. There are some differences between the normal CV and the German “CV”.
- Motivation letter in German.
- A survey from a professor. You must upload page 1&4 of this survey. The whole survey will be send via post directly to the DAAD by your professor. Please ask as soon as possible for this survey, because it may take a few weeks, until your professor will finish it. You will find the official survey form here: “Personenförderung” -> “Gutachten anfordern”.
- Application form which you download at the beginning of the application process.
1. Register at the DAAD website.
2. Go to “Personenförderung” and start the application process with “Bewerbung”.
3. Choose your right program. The name of this scholarship should be “GoEast summer school” or something familiar.
4. On the next page you will get the application form which you must download, fill in all asked information and upload it again.
5. On the next page you must upload all documents which are listed above.
You will get an Email every time you upload some documents, or if there are new information about your application. You will also get an Email when the survey receives at the DAAD via post. When you receive the confirmation of the scholarship, you must download the confirmation form and upload it again to confirm, that you want to get this scholarship. Please upload it on time.
For further information, please check carefully the homepage of the special DAAD GoEast Program.
After the application process
1. After we have chosen the participants for summer school, we will inform them via Email and ask for a confirmation of their wish to take place at our summer school. The applicants will receive an “Acceptance Letter“.
2. We will start to prepare your invitation letters which are necessary for the procedure to get a Russian visa. At this time, we also will inform you how long your Russian visa will be valid. Normally it is valid a few days longer than the summer school, so that you can stay some days in another Russian city if you have the wish.
3. You book your flights to Novosibirsk and prepare all things to obtain a Russian visa.
4. After you have booked your flights we kindly ask you to fill out the following questionnaire to receive the needed information. We will organize a pick-up service, so that everybody is picked up at the airport. At the first day of summer school you will pay the organization fee in cash. After your payment you will receive a „Confirmation of Payment Letter“.
To get your Russian visa
After the application process at the Novosibirsk State Technical University is finished. We will prepare the invitation letter for you and send it to you. This invitation you will need to apply for the Russian visa
To apply for the Russian visa, you need following documents:
- Passport which is still valid for 18 months after the last day of summer school
- Invitation letter
- Application form for Russian visa
- Passport picture
- Health insurance for Russia
- Special form that you will return to your home country (For students: certificate of matriculation)
To find the next Russian embassy in Germany:
If you decide to do this application form by your own, use the dates from the invitation letter and book your flights so that you leave before your visa will expire. The Russian border control will be very strict, and you will get into big problems if you leave after your visa expired. Please also check your visa after you received it in your passport if all things are right.
If you are too busy or too lazy to apply by your won we recommend the following agency: https://www.russland-visum.eu/
We recommend using this company because it can be difficult to make an appointment at the Russian embassy. This company also offers you to fill out the application form, so you just have to handle them your documents without the application form. The total fee for the visa application is ~ 80€ (Visa 65€ and application form 15€)
After you entered the Russian federation you get a small paper. This is your migration card. Without this migration card you will not be able to leave Russia, so please store it at a safe place. Maybe take a picture with your mobile phone to be safe.
At the first days in Novosibirsk you will get another small paper. This is your registration card. This is also a very important paper so please also store it at a safe place and take a picture. Some more words to this registration card. Every foreigner has the duty to register max. 7 working days after his arrival in Russia. In Novosibirsk the university will do this for you, because the university is the organisation which invited you and which provide an accommodation for you.
If you travel for example to Moscow and sleep in a hostel, ask the hostel to register you! Normally the hostel will do this procedure for a small fee for you and you get another small paper. If you visit several cities, you must register in each city again.
Different possible cases:
- Hostels: Normally they register you automatically, but better to ask, if they can do this for you.
- Private stay / couch surfing: You and your host must fill out special blanks and with these blanks it is possible to register at a normal post office. In this case make two copies of really everything (Passport, Russian visa with stamp, blank with your information, blank with the host information, Passport of the host, migration and registration card).
Information about the flights
Please be careful when booking your flights via Moscow. Moscow has several airports which are located around the city. If you have to change the airport this will take a few hours to get your baggage and to the next airport. So, we recommend you use the same airport for a stop. But also notice, these are Russian airports, it also takes time to get from one terminal to the next terminal. To be sure, you should plan about 3h to get to the next terminal and next gate.
Since Summer 2018 Aeroflot offers flights to Novosibirsk with a layover time in Moscow of less than 2h. We don’t recommend these flights!!!! If your airplane from your home country has got a “small” delay of round about 25 minutes it already will be impossible for your luggage to arrive your next train!
Also try to check your baggage directly through Novosibirsk. Normally this is possible if you don´t change the airline or airport at Moscow.
For people flying from Frankfurt:
In summertime there is a direct flight to Novosibirsk from Frankfurt, once per week always on saturdays.
Some ideas for packing your baggage
In Russia you can find drug stores all 100 meters in the city of Novosibirsk, but to play completely safe, we will give you some ideas for drugs which can help you.
- A card with which you can remove ticks
- Some spray to avoid insects
- Some sun blocker
- Anti-diarrheal medicine
- Maybe some aspirin
Some other useful things which you will need for sure during the summer school.
- Sport shoes, or some old shoes which can get wet. They are needed for rafting
- Some thongs or flip flops, we will visit several Russian saunas or to take a bath in a river
- Comfortable shoes, we will walk a lot in the city
- Some shoes for mountain hiking
- Swimming clothes
During summer it is very warm in Novosibirsk, normally between 30°C and 35°C. In Altai mountains, which we will visit for nearly one week, it becomes during the evenings and nights cold, so a jacket like a windbreaker would be a good idea.
Things you don´t need.
- A special travel plugs for the power socket
- A sleeping bag, in Novosibirsk and Altai mountains our accommodation will be equipped with normal beds which have bedlinen
Some information about the dormitory
During the time of your semester at the Novosibirsk State Technical University you will stay at a dormitory of the PhD. Students.
- Address of the dormitory: Ulitsa Nemirovicha-Danchenko, 138, Novosibirsk, Novosibirskaya oblast', 630087
- Address of the university: Prospekt Karla Marksa, 20, Novosibirsk, Novosibirskaya oblast', 630064
- Address of the laundry: Prospekt Karla Marksa, 24, Novosibirsk, Novosibirskaya oblast', 630087
- You will get your own room
- At each room is a small kitchen with dishes and a private bathroom
- You need an “entry-card” for the dormitory which you will get during the first days. To get this card, of course you must do some bureaucracy stuff.
- About 10min. walk to the Novosibirsk State Technical University
- About 10min. walk to the laundry
Some pictures will give you an impression of the dormitory and the locations around.
Some more information
In Russia you can take money from the cash desk with any Mastercard / Visa / Maestrocard, but VPAY doesn´t work.
To change dollar or euro into rubles is no problem. Changing money is possible in every bank. If you take cash with you, please check that you have only blank notes without any cracks or spots.
You will also receive a Russian SIM card for your mobile phone. With this SIM card you are able to surf in the internet or call home.